Wednesday

Passover Bowl

Ever since I was a little girl, I was always interested in hearing the stories of my parents' posessions, e.g., where the furniture was purchased, where "this" came form, or where "that" came from. No one else in my family seemed to be interested, especially to the extent that I was. Later, I attended and graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology where I studied Interior Design.It was there that my eyes truly became more discerning to the heirlooms that were not being appreciated by my family members.
When I began furnishing my first home in 1967, I asked different family members if I could be the "keeper" of these unappreciated pieces. What was once people's discards became my treasured pieces.Then, in the late 1970s, my Great Aunt Rae gave me the "piece de resistance," my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandmother's bowl, stamped "Made in Germany, 1755." It was brought to America in the late 1800s by my Great Grandmother. I was told the bowl was only used during Passover (so the story goes). Thats how it survived. It was given to me because Great Aunt Rae recognized my love of our family heirlooms and knew I would treasure it always.
My mission now is to pass the legacy on to a deserving family member.

--Delray Beach, FL